Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Historical, Social

Previous Name

Dublin Street Constabulary Barrack

Original Use

Garda station/constabulary barracks

Historical Use

RIC barracks


1840 - 1850


213389, 275230

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Attached six-bay two-storey former Royal Irish Constabulary barracks, built c. 1842, with stepped three-bay breakfront and a integral round-headed carriage arch to the east end of the front elevation (north), now infilled. Later in use as a Garda Station, now disused. Roof not visible, rendered chimneystacks and cast-iron rainwater goods. Coursed granite walls with flush dressed granite surrounds to window openings. Square-headed window openings with painted stone sills. Windows removed and replaced with painted wooden boards. Square-headed entrance opening with shouldered limestone surround, set in tooled and channelled ashlar limestone doorcase with moulded cornice over. Replacement timber panelled door with plain overlight. Square-headed doorway to the west end of the main façade, now blocked. Set directly on the street to the south side of Dublin Street and to the southeast of Longford Town centre.


This well-built and quite imposing former Royal Irish Constabulary barracks retains its early form. The stepped breakfront lends helps to alleviate the austerity of the plain granite façade and gives this building a strong presence in the streetscape. It retains its early character despite the removal of the windows and its current vacant status. The doorcase is apparently a later addition, added c. 1970, but it fits in well with the original fabric. This building is of historical importance as a former Royal Irish Constabulary barracks, one of a number of examples of this building type still extant in County Longford. It makes a positive contribution to the architectural heritage of Longford Town, adding variety to the streetscape to the southeast of the town centre. The county inspector, Robert Curtis, was based here in 1846 (Slater's Directory). This barracks was known as Longford Town No. 1 Barracks in 1894 (Slater's Directory), when William Mansfield was the head constable (over six sergeants).