Categories of Special Interest
1835 - 1840
Corner-sited terraced five-bay three-storey splayed house, built 1838. Part of a terrace of seven. Pitched slate roof with rendered chimneystacks to either end and having a projecting stone eaves course. Unpainted roughcast rendered walls over smooth rendered plinth. Square-headed window openings with stone sills. A mixture of one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows and replacement windows. Central segmental-headed entrance opening with carved limestone block-and-start surround, timber panelled door and spoked fanlight. Decoratively tiled pavement to hallway. Small landscaped area accessed via limestone step from pavement. Set slightly back from road to the southeast of Longford Town centre. Enclosed by rendered ruled-and-lined, and dressed limestone boundary wall with carved limestone piers and wrought-iron railings to street frontage.
An attractive and substantial house, which retains its early form and character. Its symmetry and splayed aspect make it visually appealing and this building makes a positive contribution to the streetscape to the southeast of Longford Town centre. The elegant doorcase and fanlight help to enliven the front façade. It forms part of a good quality uniform terrace with its neighbours to the west. Provision of a private area between the house and the street is relatively unusual for Longford town and augments the appearance and significance of this structure. The simple boundary wall, railings and gateposts complete the setting. Lord Longford leased the site of this terrace to a Patrick Keon in 1838, stipulating that the dwelling houses to be built within 6 months. Probably built to designs by Kevin V. Carroll, who was responsible for No. 6, Keon's Terrace (13004003). The Sisters of Mercy had a convent in two houses on Keon’s Terrace from 1861 to c. 1874, possibly in this building as it is the most substantial structure in the terrace.