Survey Data

Reg No

12900425


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Artistic Social


Original Use

Church/chapel


In Use As

Church/chapel


Date

1890 - 1900


Coordinates

257335, 196270


Date Recorded

25/08/2004


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Detached Gothic Revival Roman Catholic church, completed 1896, on a cruciform plan with plant room over basement. Designed by William Hague. Double-pitched slate roof with clay ridge comb, cross finials and profiled cast-iron rainwater goods on limestone band. Rock-hewn limestone ashlar walls with plinth, stringcourses and buttresses with pinnacles. Lancet-arch window openings with limestone surrounds, hood mouldings and fixed-pane windows. Lancet-arch door opening with moulded pilaster surround and timber panelled double doors. Full-height interior; timber panelled dado; stained glass windows (one signed by Mayer, depicting the Crucifixion; one attributed to Earley and Company, depicting Our Lady, Queen of Heaven; one signed James Watson, c. 1905, depicting the Baptism of Christ); timber organ gallery to first floor; pointed-arch arcade to transepts on granite columns; altar remodelled; railing to altar; original altar, pulpit and reredos; open hammer-beam timber roof. Church is set back from street in own grounds; tarmacadam forecourt to front; landscaped grounds to site with group of grave markers. Freestanding bell tower to site on cast-iron pillars. Gateway to site comprising rock-hewn limestone piers (some octagonal) with wrought iron gates and railings..