Survey Data

Reg No

12900307


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Artistic Social


Original Use

Church/chapel


In Use As

Church/chapel


Date

1875 - 1880


Coordinates

245478, 207444


Date Recorded

24/08/2004


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Detached Gothic Revival Roman Catholic church, built 1878, with bell tower. Renovated, c.1985, with confessionals, transepts, chancel and sacristy projection added. Double-pitched slate roof with green scallop-edged slate courses and replacement fibre-cement tiles. Wrought iron ridge comb to tower. Rock-hewn snecked limestone walls with ashlar quoins, stringcourses and buttresses. Lancet-arch window openings with limestone surrounds, hood mouldings and fixed-pane windows. Rose window to gable. Square-headed door opening within sandstone lancet-arch with timber panelled double doors. Full-height interior; pointed-arch arcade to aisles over marble columns having foliate capitals; timber panelled confessionals; stained glass windows; timber panelled choir gallery to first floor over timber beam; open truss timber roof with timber panelling between rafters; decorative rendered panels to transepts; chancel with railings to altar; marble reredos. Set back from street in own grounds; tarmacadam yard surrounds church; section of replacement steel railings, c.1970, to front.