Categories of Special Interest
Architectural Historical Social
In Use As
1730 - 1750
Detached three-bay two-storey mid-Georgian former market house, built c.1740. Renovated, c.1990, to accommodate use as garage to ground floor having residential accommodation over. Double-pitched, M-profile, and hipped replacement fibre-cement slate roof, c.1990 with chimneystack. Replacement roughcast rendered walls, c.1990. painted. Square-headed window openings with stone sills and replacement timber and aluminium casement windows. Round-headed carriageways to ground floor. Ground floor renovated to accommodate use as workshop; original limestone-flagged floor; some original timber panelled internal doors; timber staircase to first floor; first floor extensively renovated and remodelled, c.1990, with original fittings removed. Located on an island site on The Square; tarmacadam carpark surrounds former Market House.