Survey Data

Reg No

12900203


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Artistic Archaeological Social


Original Use

Church/chapel


In Use As

Church/chapel


Date

1845 - 1855


Coordinates

254191, 212627


Date Recorded

23/08/2004


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Detached Gothic Revival Church of Ireland church, built 1851, on a cruciform plan possibly incorporating fabric of earlier Huguenot church, c.1696. Double-pitched slate roof with cast-iron rainwater goods and coping. Roofs to porches and to tower not visible behind castellated parapets with corner pinnacles to tower. Tooled random limestone ashlar walls with ashlar plinth and quoins and limestone stringcourses. Inscribed limestone crest: "Eglise Grancaise de St Paul Batie L'an 1696 rebuilt 1851". Brick English Garden Wall bond to stair return to rear. Pointed-arch window openings with limestone surrounds and iron-framed fixed-pane diamond-leaded windows. Pointed-arch door openings with timber panelled doors. Full-height interior with oak panelled box pews; rendered internal walls; stained glass windows; marble wall monuments; timber organ gallery to first floor on clustered columns; open timber roof; raised chancel with tiles to floor; Caen stone and marble altar and lectern. Street fronted in own grounds with various cut stone grave markers, c. 1860 - c. 1960; limestone ashlar boundary wall with cast-iron gates and railings.