Survey Data

Reg No

12801734


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Artistic Social


Original Use

Church/chapel


In Use As

Church/chapel


Date

1855 - 1860


Coordinates

242455, 190639


Date Recorded

20/08/2004


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Detached Gothic Revival Roman Catholic church, dated 1857. Renovated, c.1880, with tower and projecting porches added. Renovated, c.1980, with interior remodelled. Double-pitched slate roof with stone coping, pyramidal roof to tower, copper-clad; iron crucifix finial; sprocketed eaves. Rock-hewn snecked limestone walls with ashlar buttresses with feathered skews,limestone stringcourses, snecked granite to upper stage to tower, cornice. Lancet-arch window openings with limestone surrounds and fixed-pane windows. Lancet-arch door opening with stepped limestone pilaster doorcase and timber panelled doors. Full-height interior; extensively remodelled, c.1980; replacement timber fittings; timber wainscoting; replacement tiled suspended ceiling; pointed-arch panels to chancel with plaster cornice over; tripartite lancet-arch window opening with stained glass (signed "Mayer and Co (?), Munich, Bavaria"); carved timber Gothic-style reredos; screen, c. 1980, to front. Set back from road in own landscaped grounds; tarmacadam drive and rendered boundary wall to front.