Survey Data

Reg No

12801405


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Artistic Social


Original Use

Church/chapel


In Use As

Church/chapel


Date

1835 - 1845


Coordinates

261210, 200427


Date Recorded

20/08/2004


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Detached Gothic Revival Roman Catholic church, dated 1841, on a cruciform plan with sacristy projection to rear. Double-pitched on a cruciform plan slate roof with crucifix finial, overhanging verges and cast-iron rainwater goods. Lean-to roof to sacristy projection. Limestone ashlar walls with clasping buttresses, inscribed datestone; nap rendered to sides; ruled and lined; moulded ashlar course to eaves. Lancet-arch window openings with limestone sills, hood mouldings and replacement timber windows, c.1955. Pointed-arch door openings with hood mouldings and replacement tongue-and-groove timber panelled doors, c.1985. Full-height interior; gallery to first floor; plaster cornice to ceiling; plaster ribs and rosettes to ceiling; arch to chancel on marble pilasters; white marble altar (white marble and polychromatic version to transept) with white marble railing and lectern; white marble reredos with pinnacles and angel motifs. Church is set back from road in own grounds; landscaped grounds to site; tarmacadam drive to front. Freestanding statue, erected 1954, to courtyard with cast-iron railings. Gateway to front comprising limestone piers with cast-iron gates.