Survey Data

Reg No

12800552


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Artistic Social


Original Use

Church/chapel


In Use As

Church/chapel


Date

1830 - 1835


Coordinates

257160, 209366


Date Recorded

17/08/2004


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Detached T-plan Roman Catholic church, built 1835, with pedimented central breakfront having bellcote over and two-storey sacristy projection to east. Renovated, 1907. Double-pitched slate roof, hipped to transepts with cast-iron-framed rooflight over altar with projecting limestone eaves course, cast-iron rainwater goods and chimneystack to vestry projection. Roughcast rendered walls, painted, with nap rendered plinth; coursed rubble to sides; nap rendered quoins, stringcourses and cornice; aedicules with statues. Round-headed window openings with limestone sills, switch track mullions and Georgian Gothic-style timber sash windows. Round-headed door openings with rendered pilaster pedimented doorcases or hood mouldings and timber double doors. Full-height interior on a T-shaped plan; nave renovated, c.1985; with glazed lobbies added to entrances; profiled dado rail; hood mouldings to window openings; engaged octagonal piers to crossing having rib-vaulted ceiling over; statuary to crossing on "putti" corbels; profiled cornice to ceiling; altar remodelled, c.1975; original curved timber altar rail now relocated; ogee-arched recess to reredos; Gothic-style organ case, designed by John White and Sons; 17 Bishop Street; Dublin. Church is set back from road in own grounds; landscaped grounds to site; group of cut stone grave markers, c. 1850 - present, to site; gravel/tarmacadam drive to front. Gateway to front comprising wrought iron piers with wrought iron gates and railings.