Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1810 - 1830
Terraced three-bay three-storey house, built c.1820, with carriage arch to west, shopfront to east incorporating former Gibbsian doorcase, single-bay three-storey return, rear garden now occupied by single-storey retail units built c.1990, in use as commercial premises. Pitched slate roof with black clay ridge tiles, cement fractable to west gable and large rendered chimneystack rising from west gable. Replacement metal gutter to stone eaves, cast-iron hopper and downpipe. Painted ruled-and-lined rendered walling. Square-headed window openings, painted stone sills, single-pane timber sash windows with ogee horns, exposed sash boxes and some cylinder glass. Shopfront comprises pair of timber fluted pilasters and foliate console brackets c.1920, timber fascia over fixed-pane display window and glazed door, painted limestone ashlar Gibbsian door surround now having fixed-pane display window, now partially obscured behind fascia.
A substantial well-proportioned former town house retaining some important external historic features including roof, windows and the former door surround as well as internal features. This is one of the earliest surviving houses on Main Street. Its prominent location in the vicinity of the court house and other major public buildings highlights its significance. It makes a strong contribution to the streetscape at this point. As an integral part of the urban fabric of the historic town core it enhances greatly the special character and architectural landscape of Portlaoise.