Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1910 - 1920
Semi-detached two-bay two-storey house, built c.1915, with full-height canted bay, single-storey bay to gable elevation, two-storey yellow brick return and further single-storey extension, in use as consulting rooms. Pitched artifical slate roof, hipped return, terracotta ridge tiles, rendered chimneystack to west gable, ogee-moulded cast-iron rainwater goods. Painted red brick wall laid in English garden wall bond with projecting brick eaves and plinth course and blind recessed panels below first floor windows, painted ruled-and-lined rendered walling to west gable, square-headed window openings with rock-faced granite lintels and concrete sills, round-headed front entrance formed by rock-faced granite with granite keystone and redbrick impost mouldings. uPVC windows and glazed timber panelled door with lead coloured glazed sidelights, uPVC glazed porch screen. Door opening onto original tiled area and two granite steps, concrete path through garden enclosed to street by wrought-iron pedestrian gate and railing on granite plinth wall, pair of tall red brick piers with granite capstones to west framing wrought-iron vehicular gate and gravel drive to semi-detached yellow brick two-bay two-storey former coach house with pitched artificial slate roof and timber casement windows.
One of ten semi-detached, substantial and well-proportioned early twentieth century townhouses that form an attractive and elegant assemblage along Kellyville Park. They retain their historic appearance and much of their original external fabric. The retention of the group's original railings adds to its streetscape value. The houses stand out in the otherwise modest streetscape and make a positive contribution to the architectural landscape of the periphery of Portlaoise.