Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1910 - 1920
Semi-detached two-bay two-storey house, built c. 1915, with full-height canted bay, single-storey bay to gable elevation, two-storey return to rear. Pitched artificial slate roof, hipped return, terracotta ridge tiles, red brick chimneystack to west gable rendered above the roofline, ogee-moulded cast-iron rainwater goods. Red brick wall laid in English garden wall bond with projecting brick eaves and plinth course and blind recessed panels below first floor windows, painted ruled-and-lined rendered wall to side elevation, square-headed window openings with rock-faced granite lintels and concrete sills, round-headed front entrance formed by rock-faced granite with granite keystone and red brick impost mouldings. Replacement aluminum windows and original timber doorcase with replacement glazing and original leaded glazed sidelights, porch enclosed by aluminum glazing. Door opening onto tiled area and two granite steps, concrete path through garden enclosed to street by wrought-iron pedestrian gate and railing on granite plinth wall. Pair of tall red brick piers with granite capstones to west framing wrought-iron vehicular gate and gravel drive to former coach house. Former semi-detached two-storey coach house to rear has pitched corrugated-iron roof and vertically-sheeted timber loft door and entrance doors.
One of ten semi-detached, substantial and well-proportioned early twentieth century townhouses that form an attractive and elegant assemblage along Kellyville Park. They retain their historic appearance and much of their original external fabric. The retention of the group's original railings adds to its streetscape value. The houses stand out in the otherwise modest streetscape and make a positive contribution to the architectural landscape of the periphery of Portlaoise.