Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Technical

Previous Name

Maryborough Maltings

Original Use



1860 - 1870


246696, 198495

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Detached five-bay double-height malting building, built c.1865, with a centrally located, gable fronted tower extending above roof level, now disused. Pitched artifical slate roof. Coursed limestone rubble wall, round-arched windows to ground floor and tall segmental-headed carriageway arch with cut stone surrounds. Red brick tower with cut stone quoins, double round-arched windows with cut stone surrounds and plat band at sill level. Remains of a clock on gable below the apex, hipped roof of malt kilns to rear.


Maryborough Maltings were established in Portlaoise by John Wrafter in 1866. Messrs Gibney took over in the 1880s and continued to malt until the 1970s and the maltings were subsequently operated by Minch Norton until recently. Malting flourished in Laois during the mid 1800s with Portlaoise only second to Stradbally during the early 1900s. This extensive site formerly comprised of a barley store, two malt stores, two malt houses and three kilns. The site was partially demolished following making of record.