1900 - 1910
Eleven-span railway bridge over river, built 1902-6; opened 1906. Closed, 2010. Now disused. Part creeper- or ivy-covered tuck pointed rock faced limestone ashlar battered abutment walls between tuck pointed rock faced limestone ashlar battered piers with margined rock faced cut-granite chamfered stringcourses supporting parapets having margined rock faced cut-granite chamfered coping framing series of eleven riveted steel truss girder sections on paired cylindrical piers. Sited spanning River Barrow with unkempt banks to river.
A bridge erected by Sir William Arrol and Company (established 1873) of Glasgow to a design by Sir Benjamin Baker KCB (1840-1907) of London (Engineering 18th August 1905, 201) identified as an important component of the early twentieth-century civil engineering heritage of south County Kilkenny on account of the connections with the development of the Fishguard and Rosslare Railway (FRR) line opened (1906) by the Fishgard and Rosslare Railways and Harbours (FRRH) Company. NOTE: Until 1984 the longest bridge in Ireland and still the third longest railway bridge in Great Britain and Ireland after Tay Bridge (1883-7) and the Sir Benjamin Baker-designed Forth Bridge (1882-90).