Survey Data

Reg No

12402011


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Historical Social


Original Use

Country house


In Use As

Country house


Date

1795 - 1805


Coordinates

258807, 153298


Date Recorded

19/10/2004


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Detached three-bay two-storey over basement Classical-style country house, built 1800, with single-bay two-storey pedimented breakfront having (single-storey) prostyle tetrastyle Doric portico to ground floor, two-bay two-storey side elevations, and two-bay three-storey parallel range along rear (east) elevation extending into three-bay two-storey return to east. Now in use as guesthouse. Hipped slate roofs (part double-pile (M-profile); gabled to breakfront; pitched to return) with clay ridge tiles, rendered chimney stacks, and cast-iron rainwater goods on rendered eaves. Painted rendered walls with cut-limestone chamfered stringcourse to basement, rendered quoins to corners, carved cut-limestone surround to pediment having modillions, and cut-limestone shield plaque to tympanum. Square-headed window openings (in elliptical-headed recesses to ground floor) with cut-limestone sills, and six-over-six timber sash windows having three-over-three timber sash windows to basement with wrought iron bars (some three-over-six timber sash windows to parallel range to east). Square-headed door opening under cut-limestone prostyle tetrastyle Doric portico (with half-fluted columns having responsive pilasters on three cut-limestone steps supporting frieze, moulded cornice, blocking course to parapet having raised central recessed panel, and decorative corner finials) with inscribed cut-limestone surround, and glazed timber panelled double doors. Interior with timber panelled shutters to window openings. Set back from road in own grounds with tarmacadam forecourt, and landscaped grounds to site.

Appraisal

An elegantly-appointed substantial country house built for Sir James Kearney (n. d.) in a style reminiscent of the output of Sir Richard Morrison (1767-1844) incorporating features redolent of the Regency period. Centred on a Classically-detailed breakfront the architectural design value of the composition is identified by characteristics including the balanced arrangement of pleasantly-proportioned openings, an enriched portico displaying expert stone masonry, and so on. Having been very well maintained to present an early aspect the house retains substantial quantities of the original fabric both to the exterior and to the interior, thereby maintaining the character of the composition. Representing the centrepiece of a large-scale estate (including 12402012, 18 - 9/KK-20-12, 18 - 9) the house makes a positive contribution to the scenic appeal of the local rural landscape.