Categories of Special Interest
Architectural Artistic Historical Social
In Use As
1860 - 1865
Detached four-bay two-storey house, redeveloped 1863, incorporating fabric of earlier house, c.1675, with two-bay two-storey recessed wing to right having single-bay single-storey lean-to advanced glazed porch leading to full-height gabled canted projecting bay, and three-bay two-storey higher return to west having bowed bay window to left ground floor. Completed, 1884-90. Hipped slate roofs (lean-to to porch; half-polygonal to projecting bay incorporating gable) with terracotta ridge tiles, rolled lead ridges having wrought iron finials to apexes, decorative timber bargeboards, and cast-iron rainwater goods on overhanging timber eaves having carved timber consoles. Painted rendered walls with panelled piers to bow bay window supporting frieze, moulded cornice on consoles, and balustraded parapet having moulded coping. Square-headed window openings (paired round-headed window openings to projecting bay) with painted sills, moulded rendered surrounds having triangular pediments to ground floor on consoles (entablature to ground floor projecting bay on consoles), and one-over-one timber sash windows having timber casement windows to return. Square-headed openings to bowed bay window with panelled pilaster surrounds having entablatures on consoles, and French doors having overlights. Square-headed door opening with timber panelled door having sidelights, and overlight. Interior with carved timber architraves to door openings (some with moulded friezes supporting entablatures; some with foliate consoles flanking friezes supporting entablatures) having timber panelled doors, decorative plasterwork cornices to ceilings, and carved Kilkenny limestone fireplace, c.1800, incorporating scroll pediment. Set back from road in own grounds with landscaped grounds to site.
Having origins in a mid to late seventeenth-century range intended as a flax (linen) miller's house a middle-size lodge redeveloped by Charles Geoghegan (1820-1908) for John William Smithwick (1833-94) represents a pleasant Victorian merchant's villa forming an important element of the domestic architectural legacy of County Kilkenny. Displaying characteristic robust detailing the various rendered and timber accents enhance the Italianate theme identifying the architectural design significance of the composition. Having been well maintained the historic fabric survives substantially intact both to the exterior and to the interior where features including Victorian joinery, decorative plasterwork, an early fireplace salvaged from nearby Kilcreene House (c.1675; demolished, post-1950), and so on all exhibit high quality traditional craftsmanship. Set in mature grounds the house together with the outlying estate makes an appealing visual impression on the road leading into Kilkenny City from the west.