Categories of Special Interest
Archaeological, Architectural, Artistic, Historical, Social
In Use As
1840 - 1845
Detached five-bay double-height single-cell Catholic church, built 1841. Pitched slate roof with clay ridge tiles, rendered bellcote to apex to west (with round-headed aperture having cast-iron bell, carved cut-limestone coping having wrought iron cross finial, and cut-limestone obelisk flanking finials), and iron rainwater goods on slightly overhanging eaves having iron brackets. Painted rendered, ruled and lined walls. Pointed-arch window openings in bipartite arrangement with cut-limestone sills, cut-limestone block-and-start surrounds having hood mouldings over, and four-over-four timber sash windows having overlights (fixed-pane timber window over entrance bay to west with Y-mullion forming bipartite pointed-arch arrangement having fixed-pane fitting with leaded stained glass panels). Pointed-arch door opening with square-headed flanking door openings having keystones, and tongue-and-groove timber panelled doors (double doors to central door opening having overpanel). Full-height interior with glazed timber panelled internal porch, timber pews, timber wainscoting, panelled stepped gallery to first floor to west having timber pews, decorative plasterwork detailing to ceiling, and carved timber architraves to door openings having timber panelled doors with decorative ogee overpanels. Set back from road in own grounds. (ii) Graveyard to site with various cut-stone markers, post-1841-present. (iii) Freestanding single-bay single-storey gable-fronted single-cell hut over holy well, pre-1840, to south-east. Pitched (gable-fronted) stone roof with finial to apex. Painted rendered, ruled and lined walls. Pointed-arch door opening with cut-limestone 'keystone', and no fitting.
A picturesque modest-scale church of unassuming architectural pretensions with a single-cell plan combined with the sparse external detailing indicating a period of construction shortly following Catholic Emancipation (1829): openings incorporating finely-crafted dressings and fittings produce a muted Gothic tone enhancing the architectural design value of the composition while recalling a similar contemporary (1840) treatment in nearby Gattabaun (12400912/KK-09-12). Having been very well maintained the church presents an early aspect with substantial quantities of the historic fabric surviving intact both to the exterior and to the interior where a range of features display high quality craftsmanship. Containing a collection of markers exhibiting expert stone masonry an attendant graveyard contributes pleasantly to the group and setting values of the site. Representing the continuation of a long-standing ecclesiastical presence on site having origins in a holy well known as Toberabrugh or Toberadrugh the church remains an important element of the architectural heritage of the locality.