1765 - 1785
Farmyard complex, built 1770-80, about a courtyard including: (i) Attached three-bay two-storey farm manager's house with single-bay single-storey flat-roofed advanced porch to centre ground floor, and five-bay two-storey rear (west) elevation. Now in ruins. Hipped slate roof mostly collapsed with clay ridge tiles, rendered chimney stack, and no rainwater goods surviving on carved cut-limestone eaves. Flat roof to porch not visible behind parapet. Unpainted roughcast walls over random rubble limestone construction with moulded course to porch supporting blocking course, and exposed random rubble limestone construction to rear (west) elevation. Square-headed window openings with cut-limestone sills, and remains of timber fittings. Square-headed door opening with no fittings surviving. Set back from road in grounds originally shared with Foulkscourt House about a courtyard with random rubble limestone boundary wall incorporating elliptical-headed carriageway having cut-limestone piers supporting cut-limestone voussoirs. (ii) Attached three-bay two-storey outbuilding with elliptical-headed carriageway to centre ground floor. Now in ruins. Hipped slate roof mostly collapsed with clay ridge tiles, and remains of cast-iron rainwater goods on carved cut-limestone eaves. Unpainted roughcast walls over random rubble limestone construction. Square-headed window openings with cut-limestone sills, and remains of timber fittings. Square-headed door opening with remains of timber fitting. Elliptical-headed carriageway to centre ground floor with no fittings surviving. (iii) Attached three-bay single-storey outbuilding with segmental-headed carriageway to centre. Pitched slate roof with clay ridge tiles, and no rainwater goods on cut-limestone eaves. Random rubble limestone walls with square apertures having cut-limestone lintels. Square-headed window openings with cut-limestone sills, and no fittings surviving. Segmental-headed carriageway to centre with cut-limestone voussoirs, and no fittings surviving. (iv) Walled garden on a rectangular plan with random rubble limestone boundary wall to perimeter of site.
The remains of a farmyard complex once forming an important element of the extensive Foulkscourt House estate (house, 1770-80; in ruins, 1837; demolished, post-1900) possibly having associations with John Healy (n. d.) responsible for the establishment of the nearby village of Johnstown in 1770: the site remains of additional importance for the connections with the Lowrey and the Healy (Hely) families. Following a prolonged period of neglect each range has fallen into an advanced state of disrepair: nevertheless, the survival of many of the original composition attributes together with much of the historic fabric maintains some of the integrity of the complex.