Categories of Special Interest
Architectural, Historical, Social
Kilcronagh originally Greenville Park
In Use As
1740 - 1760
Detached seven-bay two-storey over basement double-pile house, c.1750, with six-bay two-storey side elevation to east forming single-bay two-storey return to north. Part refenestrated, c.1850. Mostly refenestrated, pre-1889. Hipped double-pile slate roofs with rolled lead ridges, rendered chimney stacks, sproketed eaves, and cast-iron rainwater goods on cut-limestone eaves. Unpainted roughcast walls over random rubble limestone construction (with sections of red brick irregular bond construction having some sections of concealed slate hanging) with cut-limestone dressings including chamfered course to plinth, quoins to corners, band to eaves having moulded cornice, and blocking course over. Square-headed window openings (some blind) with cut-limestone sills, concealed red brick block-and-start surrounds, and replacement two-over-two timber sash windows, pre-1889, retaining replacement two-over-two timber sash windows, c.1850, to rear (north) elevation having some nine-over-six timber sash windows. Round-headed door opening approached by flight of eleven cut-limestone steps having wrought iron railings, limestone ashlar Doric doorcase having freestanding columns with cornice supporting archivolt, and glazed timber panelled double doors having overlight obscured by statuary. Interior with timber panelled shutters to window openings. Set back from road in own grounds with landscaped grounds to site including terrace to front (south) elevation having flights of five cut-limestone steps.
An impressive Classically-composed substantial house forming an attractive landmark in the locality. Sparsely detailed the architectural design value of the composition is enhanced by attributes including the balanced distribution of openings centred on a fine doorcase while supplementary cut-limestone dressings display high quality craftsmanship. Having been well maintained the house presents an early aspect with substantial quantities of the historic fabric surviving intact both to the exterior and to the interior. The house remains of additional significance for the historic associations with the Green (builder), the de la Poer (owners, 1870s-c.1925), and the Quoinlan families.