Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest


Original Use


In Use As



1790 - 1810


258530, 141874

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Terraced three-bay three-storey house, c.1800. Renovated, c.1975, with replacement shopfront inserted to ground floor possibly incorporating fabric of earlier shopfront, c.1900. Now also in use as guesthouse. Pitched slate roof with clay ridge tiles, rendered chimney stacks (one over red brick irregular bond construction), rooflight to rear (north-east) pitch, and cast-iron rainwater goods on rendered eaves. Painted rendered walls with rendered strips to ends. Square-headed window openings with cut-stone sills, and two-over-two timber sash windows to first floor having timber casement windows to top floor. Replacement shopfront, c.1975, to ground floor possibly incorporating fabric of earlier shopfront, c.1900, with panelled piers, fixed-pane timber display windows having iron railings, glazed timber panelled doors, and projecting fascia over. Road fronted with concrete flagged footpath to front.


A well-composed house the balanced appearance of which has been compromised by unsympathetic alterations works to the ground floor including the addition of a shopfront of little inherent design distinction. Nevertheless, the house remains an important element of the late eighteenth- or early nineteenth-century architectural heritage of Thomastown on account of the retention of the original composition attributes to the upper floors together with much of the early fabric, thereby making a pleasant contribution to the historic flavour of Market Street.