Categories of Special Interest
Architectural Historical Social Technical
In Use As
1755 - 1760
Nine-arch rubble stone road bridge over river, built 1756. Random rubble stone walls on granite ashlar piers having triangular cut-waters to north-west, flight of ten cut-stone steps to west (leading to river bank), and cut-granite rounded coping to parapets. Series of nine round arches with granite ashlar voussoirs, and squared rubble stone soffits. Sited spanning River Barrow with grass banks to river (arches to north-east and to south-west forming pedestrian underpass on river bank).
Forming an attractive landmark on the approach to Goresbridge over the River Barrow an elegantly-composed bridge built by Ralph Gore (d. 1802), first and last Earl of Ross represents an important element of the mid eighteenth-century civil engineering or transport heritage of County Kilkenny. A traditional construction in unrefined locally-sourced stone produces an appealing textured visual effect assimilating pleasantly into the surrounding semi-rural landscape while refined dressings in County Carlow granite display expert stone masonry. The bridge remains of additional importance in the locality for the associations with the Battle of Goresbridge in June, 1798.