Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1935 - 1940
Semi-detached two-bay two-storey house, built 1936, with canted bay window to right ground floor. Renovated and extended comprising two-bay two-storey recessed wing to left having canted bay window to left ground floor to accommodate use as guesthouse. One of a pair forming part of a group of four. Hipped (shared) slate roof (pitched to wing) with decorative terracotta ridge tiles, rendered chimney stacks, and iron rainwater goods on overhanging eaves having paired consoles. Painted roughcast walls with rendered band to eaves. Square-headed window openings (including to canted bay windows having zinc-lined swept roof) with concrete sills, and replacement uPVC casement windows. Square-headed door opening with replacement timber panelled door having overlight. Set back from road in own grounds with random rubble limestone boundary wall having painted rendered piers, and iron double gates.
A pleasantly-composed modest-scale house built as one of a pair (with 12006028/KK-4766-10-28) forming part of a group of four identical units (with 12006016, 30/KK-4766-10-16, 30) representing an element of the continued development of the suburbs of Kilkenny City in the early to mid twentieth century. Although the retention of the original composition attributes maintains some of the integrity of the site with an additional range incorporating features from the original portion to produce a homogenous design the inappropriate replacement fittings to the openings have not had a beneficial impact on the external expression of the house.