Categories of Special Interest
Architectural Historical Social Technical
In Use As
1845 - 1850
Single-arch limestone ashlar railway bridge over road, opened 1848. Limestone ashlar walls (including to abutment walls) with limestone ashlar dressings including advanced flanking piers, cut-limestone stringcourse, and cut-limestone course to parapet having cut-limestone coping supporting replacement steel railings. Single round arch on rusticated limestone ashlar risers having cut-limestone stringcourse to spring of arch, channelled voussoirs having keystone, and limestone ashlar soffits. Sited spanning road.
An elegantly-appointed bridge forming an important element of the civil engineering heritage of County Kilkenny on account of the associations with the development of the Waterford and Maryborough [Portlaoise] Branch extension of the Great Southern and Western Railway line (later accommodating the Carlow and Kilkenny Branch) by the Waterford and Kilkenny Railway Company. Finely-detailed in the Classical manner cut-limestone accents exhibiting the very high quality stone masonry typical of such projects enhance the architectural design value of the composition in the streetscape.