Categories of Special Interest
1815 - 1835
Terraced two-bay three-storey gable-fronted mill warehouse, c.1825, with single-bay two-storey flanking bays having elliptical-headed carriageways to ground floor. Renovated, c.1975, with openings to ground floor remodelled. Now disused. Pitched (gable-fronted) slate roof (pitched to flanking bays) with clay ridge tiles, cut-stone coping to gable having red brick octagonal chimney stack to apex incorporating chamfered stringcourses, and cast-iron rainwater goods on rendered eaves. Mostly-painted rendered walls. Square-headed window openings with painted cut-limestone sills, and two-over-two timber sash windows. Elliptical-headed carriageways to ground floor (one remodelled, c.1975, to accommodate square-headed carriageway) with iron fittings. Road fronted.
A middle-size building making a strong visual statement in the street scene of Green Street on account of distinctive attributes including the formal configuration of a central block having flanking ranges, the presentation of a gable front incorporating a decorative chimney stack, and so on, all of which identify the design aesthetic of the site. Despite having fallen into disrepair following a period of neglect the essential composition attributes survive largely intact together with much of the historic fabric, thereby maintaining the integrity of a site representing an important element of the early nineteenth-century commercial and industrial heritage of Kilkenny City.