Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1815 - 1835
Detached seven-bay three-storey mill warehouse with dormer attic, c.1825, with square-headed carriageway to left ground floor. Converted to use as bakery, c.1950. Disused, 2001. Extensively renovated, post-2001, with dormer attic added to accommodate use as apartments. Pitched roof with replacement artificial slate, post-2001, clay ridge tiles, rooflights, post-2001, and replacement uPVC rainwater goods, post-2001, on rendered eaves. Painted rendered walls with fascia to first floor having inscribed lettering, moulded surround, and tie bars to top floor. Square-headed window openings with cut-limestone sills, and replacement timber casement windows, post-2001. Square-headed carriageway to left ground floor with fittings not visible. Road fronted with concrete footpath to front.
A middle-size range representing an important element of the architectural heritage of Kilkenny City having sustained some of the industrial network from the mid nineteenth-century while later operating as a bakery throughout the mid to late twentieth century. Despite having undergone a comprehensive renovation project in the course of adapting the site to accommodate an alternative use the essential composition attributes prevail as characterised by the regular distribution of the openings on each floor, thereby maintaining some of the integrity of the site in the streetscape.