Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1815 - 1835
Terraced two-bay three-storey house, c.1825, . Extensively renovated, c.1925. Renovated, c.1975, with replacement shopfront inserted to ground floor. Pitched roof with replacement artificial slate, c.1925, clay ridge tiles, no chimney stacks, and cast-iron rainwater goods on rendered stepped eaves. Painted rendered walls with fascia to top floor. Square-headed window openings with cut-stone sills, and replacement two-over-two timber sash windows, c.1925. Replacement marble-clad shopfront, c.1975, to ground floor having iron pillar, fixed-pane timber display windows, glazed timber door, and fascia over. Road fronted with concrete brick cobbled footpath to front.
A pleasantly-composed middle-size house incorporating balanced proportions contributing positively to the visual appeal of the street scene. The retention of the original composition qualities to the upper floors together with much of the early fabric enhances the agreeable impression the house makes in an historic streetscape: however, a shopfront of little inherent design merit does not contribute positively to the visual appeal of the site at street level.