Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1790 - 1810
Terraced three-bay three-storey house, c.1800, with series of segmental-headed openings to ground floor including carriageway to right. Part refenestrated, c.1900. Mostly refenestrated, c.1950. Renovated. Now in commercial use to ground floor. Pitched slate roof with clay ridge tiles, rendered chimney stacks, and cast-iron rainwater goods on rendered eaves having iron ties. Painted rendered, ruled and lined walls with exposed random rubble limestone wall to ground floor. Square-headed window openings with cut-stone sills, replacement one-over-one timber sash window, c.1900, to left first floor retaining three-over-six timber sash window to left top floor, and replacement steel casement windows, c.1950, to remainder. Series of three segmental-headed openings to ground floor (including carriageway to right) on cut-limestone piers with replacement fixed-pane timber display window, glazed timber door having sidelight, and iron double gates to carriageway (square-headed door opening behind carriageway with two cut-stone steps, and timber boarded double doors). Interior with timber panelled shutters to window openings. Road fronted with concrete footpath to front.
A middle-size house retaining the original form and massing throughout despite a number of renovation projects over the course of the twentieth century that have involved the replacement of much of the original fabric: some early joinery survives intact both to the exterior and to the interior while the replacement steel fittings to most of the window openings are becoming an increasingly-rare artefact of the mid twentieth-century built heritage of the locality. Identified by the series of openings to the ground floor alluding to an arcade the house makes a positive impression on the visual appeal of Rose Inn Street.