Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1815 - 1835
Terraced single-bay four-storey house, c.1825. Extensively renovated, c.1900, with shopfront inserted to ground floor. Renovated, pre-1977, with shopfront partly remodelled. Mostly refenestrated. Now in use as offices to upper floors. One of a pair. Pitched (shared) slate roof with clay ridge tiles, rendered (shared) chimney stack, and iron rainwater goods on rendered eaves. Painted rendered, ruled and lined walls. Square-headed window openings in bipartite arrangement with cut-stone sills, and replacement uPVC casement windows retaining replacement one-over-one timber sash window, c.1900, to first floor. Shopfront, c.1900, to ground floor on a symmetrical plan with engaged Doric columns, replacement fixed-pane (two-light) timber display window, pre-1977, in remodelled opening, glazed timber door, replacement glazed timber panelled door, pre-1977, to house having overlight, and fascia having cornice. Road fronted with concrete footpath to front.
A well-composed middle-size house built as one of a pair (with 12001071/KK-4766-14-71) identified in the streetscape on account of the vertical emphasis of the massing: features including the so-called "Kilkenny Window" bipartite window openings further enhance the architectural design value of the house. An attractive Classically-detailed symmetrical shopfront exhibiting good quality craftsmanship contributes positively to the visual appeal of the site at street level: identical to a contemporary model in Patrick Street Lower (12001056/KK-4766-14-56) the shopfront possibly has origins in a pattern book or a design influenced by the frontages manufactured by the Kilkenny Woodworkers Company. However, a number of alteration works including the insertion of inappropriate replacement fittings to most of the openings have not had beneficial impact on the external expression of the composition.