Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1790 - 1795
Terraced five-bay three-storey over basement red brick house, built 1791, with elliptical-headed carriageway to left ground floor. In use as bank, 1835-71. Now in use as offices. Pitched slate roof behind parapet with clay ridge tiles, rendered chimney stacks, and concealed cast-iron rainwater goods. Red brick Flemish bond walls on unpainted rendered plinth having cut-limestone coping to parapet. Square-headed window openings (camber-headed window openings to basement) with cut-limestone sills, six-over-six (ground floor), nine-over-six (first floor) and three-over-six (top floor) timber sash windows (having wrought iron bars to basement). Round-headed door opening with four cut-limestone steps having wrought iron railings, cut-limestone doorcase having engaged Doric columns supporting decorative frieze, moulded archivolt, and timber panelled door having fanlight. Elliptical-headed carriageway to left ground floor with cut-limestone channelled surround having block-and-start voussoirs supporting red brick voussoirs, timber panelled doors having wicket gate, and decorative 'fanlight' overpanel. Interior with timber panelled shutters to window openings. Road fronted with sections of iron railings to front on rendered plinth having cut-limestone chamfered coping.
Incorporating pleasing Classical proportions a substantial house contributes significantly to the elegant quality of a formal streetscape. Fine cut-limestone dressings displaying high quality stone masonry enliven the architectural design value of a sparsely detailed composition while early iron work further enhances the positive impression the site makes in the street scene. Having been well maintained the retention of substantial quantities of the early fabric both to the exterior and to the interior augments the character of the site in The Parade.