Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1790 - 1795
End-of-terrace four-bay three-storey over part-raised basement double-pile red brick house with dormer attic, built 1791. Renovated with single-bay single-storey lean-to projecting glazed bay added to basement. Now in commercial use. Pitched double-pile (M-profile) slate roofs behind parapet with clay ridge tiles, red brick Flemish bond chimney stacks, rooflight, and concealed cast-iron rainwater goods. Lean-to glazed roof to projecting bay in uPVC frame. Red brick Flemish bond wall to front (north-east) elevation on painted rendered base with unpainted rendered, ruled and lined walls to remainder. Square-headed window openings with cut-limestone sills, red brick voussoirs, six-over-six (ground floor), nine-over-six (first floor) and three-over-six (top floor) timber sash windows. Round-headed door opening approached by flight of seven cut-limestone steps having wrought iron railings with cut-limestone doorcase having engaged Doric columns supporting frieze, carved archivolt, and timber panelled door having fanlight. Square-headed openings to projecting bay with glazed uPVC door having fixed-pane uPVC flanking lights. Interior with carved timber staircase, carved architraves to door openings having timber panelled doors, timber panelled shutters to window openings, and plasterwork cornices to ceilings. Road fronted with sections of wrought iron railings to front on limestone ashlar plinth.
A substantial house incorporating Classically-derived proportions forming an integral component of a formal streetscape. A finely-carved doorcase displaying high quality stone masonry enlivens the external expression of an otherwise sparsely-detailed composition while iron railings further enhance the street presence of the site. Retaining most of the original fabric throughout including timber joinery and plasterwork accents of artistic design significance to the interior the house makes a positive contribution to the visual appeal of an historic street scene.