Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1815 - 1835
Terraced two-bay three-storey house, c.1825, with two-bay single-storey end bay (screen wall) to left. Part refenestrated, c.1925. Now in use as offices. Pitched slate roof with clay ridge tiles, painted red brick Running bond chimney stack, and cast-iron rainwater goods on rendered eaves. Painted rendered walls with cut-stone cornice to ground floor on corbels (continuing over screen wall supporting rendered parapet). Square-headed window openings with cut-limestone sills, six-over-six (first floor) and three-over-six (top floor) timber sash windows having replacement one-over-one timber sash window, c.1925, to ground floor (blind window opening to screen wall). Round-headed door openings (including to screen wall) with timber panelled doors having overlights. Interior with timber panelled shutters to window openings. Road fronted with concrete brick cobbled footpath to front.
A pleasantly-composed middle-size house incorporating Classically-derived proportions with the diminishing in scale of the openings on each floor making a positive contribution to the elegant formal quality of the streetscape. A finely-carved cornice displaying good stone work enlivens the external expression of an otherwise sparsely-detailed composition. Having been well maintained the house presents an early aspect with the historic fabric surviving largely intact both to the exterior and to the interior, thereby making a pleasing impression on the character of the street scene.