Survey Data

Reg No

12001052


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Historical Social


Original Use

House


In Use As

Office


Date

1755 - 1760


Coordinates

250719, 155618


Date Recorded

17/06/2004


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Terraced two-bay three-storey over basement house, built 1759. Reroofed, c.1900. Part refenestrated, pre-1992. Now in use as offices. One of a pair. Pitched (shared) roof with replacement artificial slate, c.1900, clay ridge tiles, rendered (shared) chimney stack, and cast-iron rainwater goods on slightly overhanging rendered eaves having iron ties. Painted rendered, ruled and lined walls. Square-headed window openings with cut-limestone sills, cut-limestone surrounds, and six-over-six timber sash windows having replacement uPVC casement windows, pre-1992, to top floor. Round-headed door opening with cut-limestone channelled block-and-start surround, and timber panelled door having overlight. Interior with timber panelled shutters to window openings. Road fronted with limestone ashlar parapet to front having moulded coping.

Appraisal

An elegantly-composed Classically-proportioned middle-size house built by William Colles (n. d.) of the famed Kilkenny Marble Works as one of a pair (with 12001053/KK-4766-14-53) contributing positively to the formal quality of the street scene. Fine cut-limestone dressings including a particularly distinctive doorcase exhibiting high quality stone work enhance the architectural design value of the composition. Having been reasonably well maintained the house presents an early aspect with most of the original composition attributes intact together with substantial quantities of the early fabric both to the exterior and to the interior: however, the gradual replacement of the fittings to the openings with inappropriate modern articles threatens to undermine the positive impression made in an historic setting.