Survey Data

Reg No

12001051


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural


Original Use

House


In Use As

House


Date

1765 - 1770


Coordinates

250717, 155611


Date Recorded

17/06/2004


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Terraced three-bay three-storey double-pile house, built 1769. Reroofed and part refenestrated, c.1950. One of a pair. Pitched (shared) double-pile (M-profile) roof with replacement artificial slate, c.1950, clay ridge tiles, no chimney stacks, and cast-iron rainwater goods on moulded cut-limestone eaves having iron brackets. Unpainted rendered, ruled and lined walls. Square-headed window openings (in bipartite arrangement to ground floor) with cut-limestone sills, six-over-six (first floor) and three-over-three (top floor) timber sash windows having replacement one-over-one timber sash windows, c.1950, to ground floor. Round-headed door opening with cut-limestone Gibbsian surround (part shared), and timber panelled door having overlight. Interior with timber panelled shutters to window openings. Road fronted with concrete brick cobbled footpath to front.

Appraisal

An elegantly-appointed Classically-proportioned middle-size house built as one of a pair (with 12001050/KK-4766-14-50) contributing positively to the refined quality of the streetscape. A finely-carved Gibbsian doorcase displaying high quality stone masonry enhances the formal architectural design value of the composition. Having been well maintained the house presents an early aspect retaining most of the original attributes together with substantial quantities of the historic fabric both to the exterior and to the interior, thereby making an important impression on the character of the street scene.