Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1765 - 1770
Terraced three-bay three-storey double-pile house, built 1769. Reroofed, c.1950. Renovated, pre-1992, with openings to ground floor remodelled to accommodate commercial use. One of a pair. Pitched (shared) double-pile (M-profile) roof with replacement artificial slate, c.1950, clay ridge tiles, no chimney stacks, and iron rainwater goods on moulded cut-limestone eaves having iron brackets. Painted rendered, ruled and lined walls. Square-headed window openings with cut-limestone sills, six-over-six (first floor) and three-over-three (top floor) timber sash windows having replacement fixed-pane timber window, pre-1992, to ground floor. Round-headed door opening with cut-limestone Gibbsian surround (part shared), and replacement glazed timber panelled door, pre-1992, having overlight. Round-headed door opening inserted to right ground floor, pre-1992, with cut-limestone replica Gibbsian surround, and glazed timber panelled door having overlight. Interior with timber panelled shutters to window openings. Road fronted with concrete brick cobbled footpath to front.
An elegantly-appointed Classically-proportioned middle-size house built as one of a pair (with 12001051/KK-4766-14-51) contributing positively to the refined quality of the streetscape. A finely-carved Gibbsian doorcase displaying high quality stone masonry enhances the formal architectural design value of the composition while an additional door opening bears witness to later origins through the lack of fine detailing to the stone work. Despite some alteration works to the ground floor the house presents an early aspect retaining the original attributes to the upper floors together with substantial quantities of the historic fabric both to the exterior and to the interior, thereby making an important impression on the character of the street scene.