Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1815 - 1820
Terraced two-bay three-storey over basement house, built 1817, possibly originally forming part of larger nine-bay three-storey hotel. Renovated with shopfront inserted to ground floor. One of a group of three (originally four). Pitched (shared) slate roof with clay ridge tiles, rendered chimney stacks, and cast-iron rainwater goods on slightly overhanging rendered eaves. Painted rendered walls with rendered channelled pier to end. Square-headed window openings with cut-stone sills, six-over-six (first floor) and three-over-six (top floor) timber sash windows. Timber shopfront to ground floor with panelled pilasters, fixed-pane timber window, timber panelled door having overlight, and panelled fascia over. Interior with timber panelled shutters to window openings. Road fronted with sections of wrought iron railings to front on rendered plinth.
A well-composed middle-size house built as one of a group of three, originally four related houses (with 12001021, 3/KK-4766-14-21, 3) intended as an hotel incorporating Classically-derived proportions, thereby forming an appealing assemblage contributing to the elegant quality of the streetscape. Apart from the insertion of a shopfront of little inherent design interest to the ground floor the house presents an early aspect with most of the original form and massing intact together with substantial quantities of the historic fabric both to the exterior and to the interior.