Survey Data

Reg No

12001019


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural


Original Use

House


In Use As

House


Date

1790 - 1810


Coordinates

250670, 155692


Date Recorded

17/06/2004


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

End-of-terrace three-bay three-storey house with dormer attic, c.1800, with two-bay two-storey side (south) elevation continuing into two-bay three-storey return to west possibly originally separate house. Renovated, c.1900, with rendered fa├žade enrichments added. Extensively renovated, pre-2001, with replacement shopfronts inserted to ground floor incorporating fabric of earlier shopfronts, c.1900. Pitched slate roof on an L-shaped plan (forming hip to corner) with clay ridge tiles, rendered chimney stack, rooflights, and iron rainwater goods on rendered stepped eaves. Painted rendered walls with wall-mounted clock face to first floor. Square-headed window openings with cut-stone sills, moulded rendered surrounds, c.1900, and replacement two-over-two timber sash windows, pre-2001, having wrought iron sill guards to ground floor to return. Replacement timber shopfronts, pre-2001, to ground floor incorporating fabric of earlier shopfronts, c.1900, with panelled pilasters, fixed-pane (single-, two- and three-light) timber windows on panelled risers having cast-iron supporting pillars behind, glazed timber panelled door on four cut-limestone steps, and panel fascias having moulded cornice. Segmental-headed door opening to return with moulded rendered surround, and timber panelled door having overlight. Road fronted with concrete brick cobbled footpath to front.

Appraisal

A well-proportioned substantial range possibly composed of the fabric of a number of houses making a positive impression on the visual appeal of an historic setting on account of successful restoration works that have included the retention of the original form and massing together with the insertion of replacement fittings alluding to the original models on site. Fine rendered dressings exhibiting high quality craftsmanship enliven the external expression of a building occupying a prominent site in the centre of Kilkenny while the retention of the "Willoughby's Clock" further distinguishes the visual impact of the composition in the street scene.