Categories of Special Interest
1790 - 1810
Terraced two-bay three-storey house, c.1800, with two-bay three-storey rear (west) elevation. Extensively renovated, c.1925, with pubfront inserted to ground floor rear (west) elevation. Reroofed, c.1975. Renovated with replacement pubfront inserted to ground floor. Now disused. Pitched roof with replacement artificial slate, c.1975, clay ridge tiles, no chimney stacks, and cast-iron rainwater goods on moulded rendered eaves. Painted rendered walls with painted rendered, ruled and lined wall to rear (east) elevation having iron tie plates. Square-headed window openings with cut-limestone sills, moulded rendered surrounds having rope twist reveals to first floor (no surrounds to rear (west) elevation), and two-over-two timber sash windows. Replacement timber pubfront to ground floor with panelled 'Ionic' pilasters on cut-limestone posts having portrait motifs, fixed-pane (two- and three-light) timber windows, glazed timber panelled double doors having sidelight, and panelled fascia over (all boarded-up, 2004). Timber pubfront, c.1925, to ground floor rear (west) elevation with inscribed panels, fixed-pane (two-light) timber window, glazed timber panelled door, timber panelled double doors, panel fascia having raised lettering, and moulded cornice. Road fronted with concrete brick cobbled footpath to front.
A pleasant middle-size house retaining most of the original form and massing together with substantial quantities of the historic fabric, thereby presenting an early aspect contributing positively to the visual appeal of an historic streetscape. Fine rendered dressings exhibiting high quality craftsmanship enliven the external expression of an otherwise modestly-composed house while the survival of an early twentieth-century pubfront displaying good craftsmanship further enhances the artistic design distinction of the site.