Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1920 - 1925
Terraced five-bay three-storey over basement limestone ashlar Classical-style bank with attic, built 1921-2, with single-bay full-height advanced end bays. Pitched slate roof behind parapet with clay ridge tiles, limestone ashlar chimney stacks, cut-limestone coping, and square-profiled cast-iron rainwater goods. Tooled limestone ashlar wall to front (east) elevation with channelling to ground floor having moulded course supporting inscribed frieze, cornice, full-height (two-storey) engaged Ionic columns to upper floors having flanking engaged Ionic pilasters supporting entablature, frieze, dentilated moulded cornice, limestone ashlar piers to attic storey supporting moulded course having balustraded parapet with moulded coping, and unpainted rendered, ruled and lined walls to remainder having rendered course to top floor. Round-headed openings to ground floor (probably originally door opening to left ground floor) with carved cut-limestone sill course, channelled voussoirs, fixed-pane timber windows having overlights, and wrought iron sill guards. Square-headed window openings to upper floors with cut-limestone sills, moulded surrounds (shared between floors) having keystones to first floor supporting entablatures, and one-over-one timber sash windows. Round-headed window openings to attic storey with carved limestone sills forming cornice, moulded surrounds, and timber casement windows having overlights. Interior with banking hall featuring Composite columns supporting coffered ceiling having decorative plasterwork cornice, and timber panelled reveals/shutters to window openings to upper floors. Road fronted with concrete brick cobbled footpath to front.
A very fine Classically-composed substantial bank built by Hearne and Sons Contractors of Waterford to designs prepared by Thomas Scully (1869-1946/7) forming an elegant landmark at the entrance to High Street: located in close proximity to the similarly-detailed Hibernian Bank (12001020/KK-4766-14-20) and Bank of Ireland (12001058/KK-4766-14-58) the resulting assemblage makes a pleasing impression in the townscape. Robustly detailed carved limestone dressings displaying high quality stone masonry contribute significantly to the architectural design value of the composition. Having been well maintained the bank presents an early aspect with most of the original fabric surviving intact both to the exterior and to the interior where plasterwork details and timber joinery introduce elements of artistic design importance to the site.