Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1790 - 1810
Terraced three-bay four-storey over basement house, c.1800. Renovated and refenestrated, c.1900, with rendered façade enrichments added. Renovated, pre-1992, with replacement shopfront inserted to ground floor. One of a group of three. Pitched (shared) slate roof with clay ridge tiles, red brick Running bond (shared) chimney stack, and cast-iron rainwater goods on moulded rendered eaves. Painted rendered, ruled and lined walls. Square-headed window openings with cut-limestone sills, moulded rendered surrounds, c.1900, having pediments to first floor, and replacement one-over-one timber sash windows, c.1900. Replacement timber shopfront, pre-1992, to ground floor with fluted pilasters, fixed-pane (single- and two-light) display windows, glazed timber double doors having overlight, and fascia over having moulded cornice. Interior with timber panelled reveals/shutters to window openings. Road fronted with concrete brick cobbled footpath to front.
A substantial house built as one of a group of three identical units (with 12001012 - 3/KK-4766-14-12 - 3) incorporating pleasing proportions with the diminishing in scale of the openings on each floor lending a formal quality making a positive impression in the streetscape: rendered accents in the Classical manner displaying high quality craftsmanship further enhance the elegant quality of the composition. Retaining the original composition attributes to the upper floors together with substantial quantities of the early fabric both to the exterior and to the interior the house makes a positive contribution to the character of the historic High Street.