Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1740 - 1760
Terraced three-bay three-storey over basement house with dormer attic, c.1750, on a corner site with four-bay three-storey side (west) elevation (including two-bay three-storey return to north). Reroofed, 1975. Extensively renovated, 1993, with opening to ground floor remodelled accommodating square-headed cut-away corner porch. Now in commercial use to ground floor. Hipped roof on an L-shaped plan with replacement artificial slate, 1975, clay ridge tiles, rendered chimney stacks, rooflight, sproketed eaves, and iron rainwater goods on cut-limestone eaves. Painted rendered, ruled and lined walls. Square-headed window openings with cut-stone sills, cut-limestone-clad surrounds, 1993, and replacement uPVC casement windows, 1993, retaining one six-over-six (first floor) and three-over-three (top floor) timber sash window. Round-headed door opening with four cut-limestone steps having iron railing, cut-limestone block-and-start surround, and timber panelled door having overlight. Square-headed opening to left ground floor remodelled, 1993, to accommodate square-headed cut-away corner porch with cut-limestone steps, timber panelled pier, cut-limestone-clad block-and-start reveals, square-headed chamfered door opening having timber panelled double doors, fascia over having panelled consoles, and moulded cornice. Road fronted on a corner site with concrete footpath to front.
A well-appointed substantial house of considerable vintage occupying a prominent corner site, thereby contributing positively to the streetscape value of John Street Lower and John's Quay. Despite extensive renovation works in the late twentieth century that have eroded much of the historic patina of the site most of the original form and massing survive intact together with a number of features enhancing the architectural design aesthetic of the composition including a Classically-composed doorcase displaying good quality stone masonry, early fittings to some window openings, and so on.