Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1875 - 1880
Terraced three-bay two-storey house with dormer attic, built 1876, with shopfront to ground floor incorporating square-headed carriageway to left. Refenestrated, pre-1992. Now disused to ground floor. Pitched slate roof with clay ridge tiles, rendered chimney stack, rooflights, and cast-iron rainwater goods on rendered eaves. Painted rendered, ruled and lined walls with rendered channelled pier to end. Square-headed window openings with concealed rendered sills, moulded rendered surrounds having vermiculated keystones, and replacement aluminium casement windows, pre-1992. Square-headed window opening to right ground floor (contained within shopfront) with rendered sill, and two-over-two timber sash window. Rendered shopfront to ground floor (incorporating square-headed carriageway to left) with part-chamfered pilasters, fixed-pane timber window, glazed timber panelled double doors having overlight, timber panelled door to house having overlight, timber panelled double doors to carriageway having wicket gate, fascia having raised lettering over carriageway, decorative consoles, and moulded cornice. Road fronted with concrete footpath to front.
A pleasant middle-size house incorporating fine rendered dressings enhancing the design aesthetic of the composition including a shopfront of artistic merit making a positive impression on the visual appeal of the streetscape at street level: raised lettering survives as a reminder of the lime kiln (1876; decommissioned, 1950; demolished, 1977) once forming part of the industrial legacy of the area. The retention of the original composition attributes contributes significantly to the character of the site: however, the inappropriate replacement fittings to some openings have not had a beneficial impact on the external expression of the house.