Categories of Special Interest
Architectural Historical Social
In Use As
1795 - 1805
End-of-terrace five-bay two-storey house with dormer attic, c.1800. Now in use as offices. Pitched slate roof with clay ridge tiles, red brick Running bond chimney stacks, rooflights, and cast-iron rainwater goods on rendered eaves having iron brackets. Painted rendered, ruled and lined walls with rendered quoins to ends. Square-headed window openings with cut-stone sills, and six-over-six timber sash windows. Round-headed door opening with painted cut-stone Gibbsian surround, and timber panelled door having fanlight. Interior with timber panelled reveals/shutters to window openings. Road fronted with concrete footpath to front.
A well-appointed middle-size house incorporating elegant Classically-derived proportions forming an appealing feature in the street scene: a Gibbsian surround exhibiting fine stone masonry further enhances the formal quality of the composition. Having been well maintained the house presents as early aspect with most of the historic fabric surviving intact both to the exterior and to the interior, thereby contributing significantly to the character of the locality. The house remains of additional importance for the historic role as the residence of the governor of the nearby Kilkenny City Military Barracks (now James Stephens Military Barracks).