Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1815 - 1835
Terraced four-bay three-storey over basement house, c.1825. Renovated, c.1900. Extensively renovated. Now in use as guesthouse. Pitched slate roof with clay ridge tiles, red brick Running bond chimney stacks, and replacement uPVC rainwater goods on red brick eaves, c.1900, having yellow brick saw tooth-detailed course incorporating yellow brick 'consoles'. Painted replacement rendered walls with rendered channelled piers to ends. Camber-headed window openings to ground floor with square-headed window openings to remainder having cut-limestone sills, cut-limestone surrounds to ground floor having keystones, replacement six-over-six timber sash windows to ground floor, and replacement two-over-two timber sash windows to remainder. Square-headed door opening with two cut-limestone steps, cut-limestone block-and-start surround having keystone, and timber panelled double doors having overlight. Road fronted with concrete brick cobbled footpath to front.
A well-composed Classically-proportioned substantial house making a pleasing impression on the visual appeal of John Street Lower. Retaining the original composition attributes extensive renovation works have sought to replicate most of the early details with the result that the house continues to contribute positively to the historic quality of the street scene.