Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1740 - 1760
Terraced three-bay three-storey house, c.1750. Extensively renovated, 1920, with shopfront inserted to ground floor. Reroofed and part refenestrated. Now in use as offices to upper floors. Pitched roof with replacement artificial slate, clay ridge tiles, red brick Running bond (shared) chimney stack, and replacement iron rainwater goods on moulded rendered eaves retaining cast-iron hopper and downpipe. Painted rendered walls with moulded rendered band to eaves. Square-headed window openings with painted cut-stone sills (on consoles to top floor), fluted/reeded pilaster surrounds to first floor having consoles supporting entablatures, panelled pilaster surrounds to top floor supporting entablatures, and replacement one-over-one timber sash windows, 1920, having replacement uPVC casement windows to top floor. Timber shopfront, 1920, to ground floor with panelled pilasters, fixed-pane timber display windows, glazed timber panelled double doors having overlight, timber panelled door to house on cut-limestone step having overlight, glazed fascia having brass lettering, decorative consoles, and moulded cornice. Interior with glazed tiling to walls (possibly over red brick construction) incorporating square-headed door opening with rusticated cut-limestone block-and-start surround having glazed timber panelled door, overlight, tongue-and-groove timber panelled compartmentalised ceiling, tongue-and-groove timber panelled stair compartment incorporating turned balustrade, and timber panelled shutters to window openings. Road fronted with concrete footpath to front.
A well-appointed Classically-composed middle-size house contributing positively to the streetscape value of Rose Inn Street. Recalling a similar treatment in the adjacent site (12000146/KK-4766-09-146) robust rendered dressings exhibiting high quality craftsmanship identify the Classical theme enhancing the architectural design value of the composition: an embellished shopfront executed by a Mr. Costello of nearby William Street displaying a fine design aesthetic further contributes to the visual appeal of the site at street level. Having been reasonably well maintained the house presents an early aspect with the historic fabric surviving largely intact both to the exterior and to the interior: however, the gradual replacement of the fittings to the openings with inappropriate modern articles threatens to undermine the integrity of the composition.