Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1765 - 1785
Terraced three-bay three-storey over basement house, c.1775, on a corner site with two-bay three-storey side (east) elevation, and single-bay three-storey return to south. Extensively renovated, c.1900, with shopfronts inserted to ground floor. Renovated and part refenestrated with return subdivided to accommodate separate commercial use. Pitched slate roof on an L-shaped plan (forming hip to corner) with clay ridge tiles, red brick Running bond and rendered chimney stacks, and cast-iron rainwater goods on moulded rendered eaves. Painted rendered walls with moulded rendered band to eaves. Square-headed window openings with cut-stone sills (on consoles to top floor), moulded rendered surrounds having consoles, and replacement one-over-one timber sash windows, c.1900, having replacement uPVC casement windows to top floor. Pair of timber shopfronts, c.1900, to ground floor with pilasters having elongated consoles, fixed-pane (two-light) timber display windows having colonette mullions, glazed timber panelled double doors having overlight, fascia having decorative consoles, and moulded cornice. Round-headed door opening to return with moulded rendered surround, and timber panelled door having overlight. Interior with timber panelled shutters to window openings. Road fronted on a corner site with concrete footpath to front, and sections of wrought iron railings along side (east) elevation on rendered plinth.
A well-appointed Classically-composed middle-size house occupying an important corner site, thereby contributing positively to the streetscape value of Rose Inn Street and Canal Walk. Representing a feature shared in common with the site adjacent to west (12000147/KK-4766-09-147) robust rendered dressings displaying high quality craftsmanship enliven the architectural design quality of the house while a pair of early shopfronts of artistic design distinction make a positive impression on the visual appeal of the house at street level. Having been well maintained the house presents an early character with much of the historic fabric intact both to the exterior and to the interior: however, the gradual replacement of the fittings to the openings with inappropriate modern articles threatens to undermine the integrity of the composition. The house is of some additional importance in the locality for the historic role as the Great Southern and Western Railway Company ticket office which that often the first port-of-call for emigrants leaving Kilkenny.