Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest


Original Use


In Use As



1865 - 1885


250757, 155812

Date Recorded


Date Updated



End-of-terrace three-bay three-storey house, c.1875, possibly originally two separate single-bay three-storey houses with pair of box oriel windows to first floor. Reroofed, c.1950. Part refenestrated, c.1975, to accommodate commercial use to ground floor. Pitched roof with replacement artificial slate, c.1950, clay ridge tiles, rendered (shared) chimney stack, and iron rainwater goods on rendered eaves. Painted rendered walls. Square-headed window openings (including to box oriel windows on panelled risers) with cut-limestone sills, rendered surrounds, and one-over-one timber sash windows having replacement fixed-pane timber windows, c.1975, to ground floor. Square-headed door openings with rendered surrounds, one having cast-iron bootscraper, and timber panelled doors having overlights. Interior with timber panelled shutters to window openings. Road fronted with concrete footpath to front.


A substantial house possibly originally intended as two separate houses identified in the streetscape on account of the vertical emphasis of the massing together with inventive architectural attributes including the distinctive oriel windows representing a feature shared in common with a further house of similar vintage (c.1875) in John's Bridge or The Horseleap Slip (12000141/KK-4766-09-141). Having been well maintained with the ground floor adapted to an alternative use without adversely impinging on the external expression of the composition the house presents an early aspect with substantial quantities of the historic fabric surviving in place both to the exterior and to the interior, thereby contributing significantly to the character of the street scene.