Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1815 - 1835
Terraced two-bay three-storey house, c.1825, on a corner site with two-bay three-storey side (west) elevation. Extensively renovated, c.1925, with wrap-around shopfront inserted to ground floor. Pitched and hipped roof with replacement artificial slate, c.1925, terracotta ridge tiles, rendered chimney stacks, and cast-iron rainwater goods on rendered eaves having consoles. Painted rendered walls with rendered quoins to ends and to corner. Square-headed window openings with cut-stone sills, moulded rendered surrounds, replacement one-over-one (first floor) and three-over-one (top floor) timber sash windows, c.1925. Timber wrap-around shopfront, c.1925, to ground floor with pilasters, fixed-pane (two-light) timber display windows, glazed timber door on chamfered corner, fascia over having decorative consoles, and lined cornice. Interior with timber panelled shutters to window openings. Road fronted on a corner site with concrete footpath to front.
A well-proportioned middle-size house occupying an important corner site in the centre of Kilkenny, thereby contributing significantly to the streetscape value of Rose Inn Street and Saint Kieran's Street. Comprehensively renovated in the early to mid twentieth century retaining most of the original composition attributes to the upper floors the replacement fittings having become part of the historic fabric of the site include an appealing shopfront of artistic merit exhibiting high quality traditional craftsmanship.