Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1815 - 1835
Terraced two-bay three-storey house, c.1825. Extensively renovated, c.1900, with shopfront inserted to ground floor. Pitched slate roof with clay ridge tiles, rendered chimney stacks, and cast-iron rainwater goods on rendered eaves. Painted rendered, ruled and lined walls with rendered channelled pier to end. Square-headed window openings (in tripartite arrangement to first floor) with cut-stone sills, moulded rendered surrounds having vermiculated keystone to first floor, and replacement one-over-one timber sash windows, c.1900, having one-over-one sidelights to tripartite opening. Timber shopfront, c.1900, to ground floor on a symmetrical plan with panelled pilasters, fixed-pane timber windows (bowed leading to entrance bay) on cut-limestone plinth having colonettes, glazed timber panelled door having overpanel, and fascia over. Road fronted with concrete footpath to front.
A pleasant modest-scale house identified in the streetscape on account of distinctive attributes including the vertical emphasis of the composition, a tripartite window opening, fine rendered dressings, and so on all of which enliven the architectural design value of the site. An elegantly-appointed shopfront of artistic design importance possibly influenced by the output of the Kilkenny Woodworkers Company exhibiting high quality craftsmanship further enhances the aesthetic appeal of the house at street level.