Categories of Special Interest
Architectural Archaeological Historical Social
In Use As
Church hall/parish hall
1150 - 1250
Detached five-bay double-height Catholic church, c.1200, on a cruciform plan comprising three-bay double-height nave with single-bay (two-bay deep) double-height transepts to north and to south, and single-bay double-height chancel to east having single-bay double-height lean-to lower flanking bays. Converted to use as Church of Ireland church, post-1537. Extensively renovated, 1820, with single-bay three-stage entrance tower added to west on a square plan (originally having octagonal spire). Converted to use as parish hall, 1960-3. Pitched slate roofs on a cruciform plan (lean-to to flanking bays) with clay ridge tiles, cut-stone coping, and cast-iron rainwater goods on cut-limestone eaves. Roof to tower not visible behind parapet. Random rubble stone walls with limestone ashlar wall to west elevation, cut-limestone dressings to tower including advanced corner piers having slit-style 'gun loop' apertures, date stone/plaque having hood moulding over, stringcourses to each stage, and battlemented parapet on stringcourse having consoles with gabled corner pinnacles rising into elongated finials. Pointed-arch window openings to nave with cut-stone sills, cut-limestone surrounds having chamfered reveals, and fixed-pane (three- and five-light) timber windows. Lancet window openings to transepts (in tripartite arrangement to transept to south having raised central opening) with cut-limestone surrounds having chamfered reveals, hood mouldings over, and fixed-pane timber fittings (some now blocked-up with random rubble stone infill). Square-headed window openings to tower with cut-stone sills, cut-limestone surrounds having chamfered reveals, and fixed-pane timber windows having lattice glazing. Pointed-arch openings to top (bell) stage to tower with cut-stone sills, cut-limestone surrounds having chamfered reveals, hood mouldings over, and louvered panel fittings. Pair of Tudor-headed door openings to tower with cut-limestone surrounds having rebated reveals, hood mouldings over supporting squared limestone voussoirs, and timber panelled double doors. Square-headed door opening to transept to north with tongue-and-groove timber panelled door, cut-stone plaque over, and squared limestone voussoirs forming round relieving arch. Set back from road in own grounds.
A substantial church of national significance forming an important element of the medieval heritage of Kilkenny having been founded in the very early thirteenth century while continuing in active use until the mid twentieth century. Originally built for the Catholic community the church is of particular importance for the associations with the Reformation (1536-7) after which ownership passed to the (Anglican) Church of Ireland: although having been converted to an alternative use following decommissioning most of the historic character of the composition survives intact. A very fine tower built by Robert Lord (after 1766-1841), Bishop of Ossory, incorporating high quality stone masonry stands in contrast to the rustic quality of the remainder of the church while an enriched parapet serves to identify the site in the townscape on account of the articulation of the skyline. Forming the centrepiece of an attractive self-contained ecclesiastical group (with 12000128 - 9, 31/KK-4766-09-128 - 9, 31) the church remains a vital addition to the architectural heritage of the locality.