Categories of Special Interest
Architectural Historical Social
1815 - 1820
End-of-terrace two-bay three-storey school, dated 1818, with segmental-headed carriageway to right ground floor, and single-bay three-storey slightly recessed end bay to right. In use as parochial school, 1871. Subsequently in use as bakery, post-1871. Extensively renovated to accommodate alternative commercial use. Now disused. Pitched roof with replacement artificial slate, clay ridge tiles, sproketed eaves, and replacement uPVC rainwater goods on rendered eaves. Painted rendered, ruled and lined walls with cut-limestone date stone/plaque having hood moulding over. Square-headed window openings with no sills, cut-limestone hood mouldings over, and replacement timber casement windows. Segmental-headed carriageway to right ground floor with replacement glazed timber double doors having sidelights, and overlight. Road fronted.
A substantial building of solid form and massing making a dramatic impression in the streetscape: cut-limestone dressings producing a muted Tudor theme are insufficient to combat the robust appearance of the composition. Despite extensive renovation works in the course of adapting the site to various alternative purposes some of the early character survives intact, thereby contributing to the visual appeal of the townscape. Positioned on the site of one of the earliest houses having connections with the Rothe family including John Rothe (1560-1620) the building remains of particular importance for the original intended use as a school representing one of the earliest-surviving purpose-built educational facilities in Kilkenny.